Wednesday 27 July 2016

The Splendid Sampler blocks 45, 46 and 47

The Splendid Sampler Block 47 Cheat!

Lets get bang up-to-date with my Splendid Sampler blocks:

Block 45 – ‘Sewing Nut’ by Frances Newcombe.  
This 6” block contains a lot of little applique pieces but it is doable - just take your time.  I placed the printed pattern under my background fabric.  I also patched the forest floor using four 2” scrap squares.
The Splendid Sampler Block 45 - Sewing Nuts

Block 46 – ‘Twirl Time’.  I love when a patchwork block comes along in The Splendid Sampler – it is refreshing to have a quick block.  So it was with this lovely block by Sarah J.  Sarah made her block from 20 different fabrics whereas I chose three and a background.
The Splendid Sampler Block 46 - Twirl Time

Block 47 – ‘Circle of Love’ by Geta Grama.  I cheated with this block by using page 3 of the pattern and cutting the template as one piece (see photo at top of this blog).  This does not change the look of the pattern – it just makes it easier to position.   Alyssa Thomas has a very good Block 47 Youtube video showing exactly how to do this.  I also added a 3” circle behind the center flower to add an extra pop of colour.  It shows through very slightly but this won’t show once it is quilted.
The Splendid Sampler Block 47 - Circle of Love

So there we have it.  Tomorrow there will be a new block but I am working on a few special projects using the bonus blocks so be sure to come back soon to see how that turns out.  If you want to see all The Splendid Sampler blocks I have made to date you can find them on my Pinterest Splendid Sampler (Patchsmith Style) board or click on any of the photos.

Until next time ......... 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blocks, as always! I love each one. That Twirl Time block is especially beautiful with your fabric selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small triangles are from my pre-cut scraps so it was a quick block to put together. It is a good design - it has movement which is essential for a pinwheel.

      Delete