Monday 22 February 2016

The Splendid Sampler Begins

Block 3 - Lots of Love - Patchsmith style.

Over 20,000 people are sewing along with Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson in The Splendid Sampler sew-along.  One hundred 6” blocks at the rate of two a week.  And I am joining in as part of my Block-a-Day 2016.

The first block, designed by Pat, was released on Valentine Day and mixed simple patchwork with simple applique to stunning effect.  
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/568860996663137914/
Block 1 - Hearts Aflutter - Patchsmith style

The following Thursday block 2 ‘Wings’, designed by Jane, was released and I had fun with this one.  My ‘Farmer’s Wife’ experience looked for a pattern within the block and this is what I found:  
Block 2 - Wings - Patchsmith style

Yesterday saw the release of block 3 ‘Lots of Love’, designed by Melissa Corry and I got down-and-dirty with some itty-bitty hearts.  I loved it.  These small pieces have me taking my time - I find it impossible to rush if I want the accuracy - and this, in turn is making these blocks a relaxing experience. 
Block 3 - Lots of Love - Patchsmith style

The only deviation I’ve taken from the patterns so far, is to press my seams open on the patchwork hearts for block 3 – I find I can better see the points when I am matching seams.

You can find all three patterns on The Splendid Sampler website and I have started up a Splendid Sampler Pinterest Board (Patchsmith Style) where you can find all my blocks in one place.

Until next time .........

3 comments:

  1. Your first three blocks look fabulous Amanda and thank you for the tip about pressing seams open on block three.... I am just making mine so I think I will give it a try! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I think you will find it less bulky. I love seeing your blocks in the Facebook group. And I am guessing, when we get to the embroidery you will be in your element. xxxx

      Delete
  2. I am already tagging your Splendid Sampler blocks as my favorites!! I am in love with your fabrics and colors! Oh no... another sew along I may be getting pulled into!! (smiles)
    Susie

    ReplyDelete