Sunday 7 February 2016

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 37, 38, and 61

Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 61 - May

Five blocks made for the Farmer’s Wife 1930s sew-alongs this past fortnight but some of them we have seen before.  FIrst up are the four blocks for Very Kerry Berry:

Block 37 – Georgia.  This was a very easy block to make as it is made in rows.  I took the papers off before joining the rows so that I could nest the seams neatly. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 37 - Georgia

Block 38 – Golda.   Points that are at an angle can be tricky and so it proved with Golda.  It is important to make sure you have enough seam allowance where the points meet the edge so that you do not lose the points when sashing the blocks.  My notes scribble in the book simple state ‘tricky points’.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 38 - Golda

Then we came to two senior blocks both of which I have covered already:

Block 39 – Grandma.  I have already blogged about this block HERE but I will say it again - it is really important to mark the templates with the colours of the fabric with this block as the pattern is not obvious when paper-piecing. More so because none of the templates that came with the book have been reversed.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 39 - Grandma

Block 40 – Grandmother.   A favourite block of mine and one where I rejigged the templates to avoid an inset seam.  I have blogged about this HERE where you will also find a template for the handle.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 40 - Grandmother

GnomeAngel chose one block the first week and then the usual two blocks but I have already blogged about two of those blocks – so only one new block to cover:

Block 28 – Dolly.  This is another block that is a straightforward block – lots of pieces but doable.  I covered this block HERE
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 28 - Dolly

Block 61 – May.  Ah – May.  What looks like a quite simple block I actually found to be annoying.  Not only did it have inset seams but it has four of those pesky diamonds which are made by sewing together the smallest of triangles.  Not a favourite and not a block I will make again.  Like Golda above, you must ensure you have enough seam allowance at the end of the points to sash the block.  My notes read “eight ‘Y’ seams and fiddly half-diamonds make this a yucky block”.  And I stand by that. 
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 61 - May


Block 37 – Georgia.  See above.
Farmer's Wife 1930s block no. 37 - Georgia - on point.

That brings us all up-to-date for both sew-alongs and you can see all the blocks made to date over on my Farmer’s Wife Pinterest Board or on my Farmer’s Wife blog page.

Sew until next time ......

2 comments:

  1. More beautiful blocks Amanda! I am so enjoying seeing these each week! Very inspiring! Have a good week! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These latest blocks are just gorgeous!! Your fabrics and technique make all of your blocks just stunning!! Can't wait to see your projects with them, Amanda! Well done!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete