Wednesday 6 January 2016

Are you joining in the Bloom Sew-Along?

Bloom Flower Block no. 4

The Bloom sew-along starts in just under two weeks.  It is being hosted by Lori Holt and Riley Blake and you can find details over on Lori’s website and you can download the pattern from the Riley Blake website (PDF file). 
 
'Bloom' quilt pattern
It is a lovely patchwork and applique quilt and I shall be joining in but with a few differences.

Firstly, I will not be making a full bed quilt – I just don’t need another one.  Instead I shall be joining 14 blocks together to make a bed runner and using the remaining six blocks for some surprise projects to go with the runner.  

Secondly, I shall not be using only Calico Days for my Bloom bed runner. 
Calico Days by Lori Holt for Riley Blake

I shall be combining Calico Days and Modern Minis (both Lori Holt for Riley Blake) with some Sweetness by Sandy Gervais for Moda.  
Sweetness FQ Bundle from the Fat Quarter Shop

There will be the odd fabric scrap thrown in - it just wouldn’t be a Patchsmithian quilt without a scrap or two!

And lastly, whilst there are many ways to complete the applique I shall be using my favourite quick-fuse method.  Lori Holt calls this method ‘iron on’ and has a very good tutorial here. I do not do the whole ¼” outline-cutting-out thing as I find it easier to trace around the shape and cut the whole shape out - especially with multiple point flowerheads! 
Bloom Block 4 

I have a page of fusible applique hints and tips which you might find useful.  Quick fuse applique is a great method for using strip-applique whereby you stitch strips of fabric together before cutting out the applique shapes.   It is a method you may be familiar with from my mug rug patterns.
Two tone leaves created using strip applique

Each block will be part of my 2016 block-a-day project so you will be able to see them as I make them on my Instagram Page and on the my 2016 Block-a-Day Pinterest board.  I will also be blogging now and again with a few hints and tips to help along the way.

Sew until next time .......

4 comments:

  1. Looks cute. Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Vera. Are you going to be joining in?

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see yours... and just know your blocks will be gorgeous! And I am betting that we will see a bit of gingham being used in your blocks!! ;)
    Thanks for your sew useful tips and observations!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am hoping to include a little bit of gingham - or if not gingham then checks at least.

      Delete