Sunday 1 March 2015

Across the Pond for the Best Dressed Bed

The Patchsmith's Nightdress Case
What do you do with your nightgown or pyjamas?  Under the pillow?  In the drawer?  Has nobody heard of a nightdress case?  According to Pinterest and Google – it seems not.   

I picked this month’s project before I did a search and I was shocked at how little there is available.  No, let me correct that – how there is ‘nothing’ available.  So this month I had to make it up as I went along. 
Scrappy patchwork.
I knew how I wanted it to look – rounded.  I knew how large I wanted it (9” opening, 9” from top to toe and 13”-14” across the bottom).  I knew I wanted to use scraps and I wanted it to be pretty.  I could see it in my mind’s eye – I just had to make it a reality.

It would have to be simple though – I’m no bag maker ..... or pouch maker for that matter.  I have Amy and Susie for those things – they are so much better than I could ever be.   I get lost turning a corner so my nightdress case had to be simple – really simple.
Scrappy patchwork rectangle.
My pouch is made up of a patchwork rectangle (12 rows of ten 1½” scrappy squares) and a linen flap incorporating my favourite block from my BAD project – block 15.    
Block 15 - Boxed In.  One of my favourite patchwork blocks so far.
I folded the patchwork rectangle in quarters and marked an outline along one size using my Frixion pen. 
Quartered, drawn and cut.  Love that Frixion pen - a hot iron and all marks are gone.
I cut along the outline and opened up the patchwork to reveal the shape of the pouch. 
The same shape as my body!
I created the flap in a similar fashion by folding the linen rectangle in half and drawing a curve from the outer corner down to fold (I told you it was simple) and I stitched it to the patchwork.
Block 15 is perfect for this flap.
Next I quilted the patchwork but not the flap.  I then layered the front with a piece of lining, right sides together and stitched all around the outline leaving a 3” gap for turning. Once I turned it right side out, I then positioned a piece of Velcro on the underside of the flap, in line with the patchwork block.  
Velcro is stitched in place as I quilted the flap.
Only now did I quilt the patchwork block which served to secure the Velcro in place at the same time.  Neat eh?  
All complete and pretty as a picture
 From there it was a case of folding the pouch and stitching down each side – I didn’t think that through – it was quite thick but nothing my trusty machine couldn’t handle.  And there it is – pretty-as-a-picture-perfect-for-the-Patchsmith nightdress case. 

Now if you are somebody that needs a pattern I have checked out some simple bag patterns (I think they are called ‘purses’ across the Pond) that might fit the bill:
Sometimes Crafter's Kindle Case - very similar to how I made mine - just make it bigger.

She Can Quilt - quilt-as-you-go.  Make it any size you like.  Easy.

Make My Day Creative - this version is leather and crochet
but it would work just as well in quilter's fabric

BHG.  Roses are red, violets are blue,
this crochet clutch would hold a nightie or two!
Or you could pop over to Susie’s Sunroom and see what that skillful little minx has created with her Simply Striped Accent Pillow – yes, a nightdress case.  
Susie's Clever Pillow PJ Case
Oh, I wish I’d thought of that.  Especially as I am in the Simply Striped Pillow Blog Hop for showcasing that pattern.  Doh!  

But hey, I am the Patchsmith and I know how to get-my-own-back - so be sure to come back and see how ‘barking’ mad I can get on Saturday 7th March when I am the blogger for the Simply Striped Pillow blog hop (starts tomorrow over at Susie's Sunroom).    You may just find revenge is oh-so-sweet and works to your advantage. 

p.s. Don’t forget to post any photos of pyjama cases or nightdress cases, if you find any, over at the ATPSAL Flickr group.  

16 comments:

  1. I just adore you pyjama case!! It is gorgeous, and would make me so smile every morning and night as I stuffed my jammies into this stunning pouch! I love the block on the flap, and how you added the velcro into the stitches of the block! Thanks for the pouch patterns you have referenced, too! Those are lots of possibilities.
    And see you on the Simply Striped Pillow Blog Hop!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - what are you doing up? It must be middle of the night in the USA. I am so looking forward to the Blog Hop. It is a brilliant little pattern Susie and one I can return to time and time again. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hello Amanda! What a beautiful pyjama case! I love it! Thank you for all those lovely links to 'purses' I shall have to have a look at them all over the coming days! Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. It looks like Sunday might be quite nice on this side of the pond so I think a cycle ride is in order. Enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete
  3. Patchsmith, I love your powerful call: "I AM THE PATCHSMITH." This little pouch is super cute and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggle - I am just being playful.

      Delete
    2. And yes we all need some playfulness in these not-quite-spring days!!

      Delete
  4. I just love your pajama case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mirabilys and I love your name - it is enchanting.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous case! I love every square of fabric you used! The shape of the pouch is so beautiful, too! Hmmm...I wonder what kind of pj's are in there! Hard to imagine what The Patchsmith wears...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an old-fashioned idea for women to have nightdress cases from what I can gather. But it is one I think needs reviving.

      Delete
  7. Under the pillow till now! but what a great idea, thank you sooo much. I may just have to make one of these.
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would make a great gift for Mother's Day or a birthday - with or without a pretty nightie tucked inside.

      Delete
  8. Gosh, you are so right, there is absolutely nothing on the internet to help you make a nightdress case - I made one for my mum the Christmas before last and had to make it up as I went along. As I am a novice needleperson, it wasn't a great effort - I wish I had your version to try - it is lovely! Maybe I'll make another one for my daughter.
    Many thanks for your lovely patterns - I had lots of fun making the tea and books mug rug for a Christmas present this Christmas just past and am about to start the night time cat and the moon for an upcoming birthday.

    Best wishes,

    Pauline (Rutland)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is as if they don't exist isn't it? I have just spent a couple of wonderful hours with my sister making her a nightdress case.
      I am so glad you like my patterns - they are meant to be fun and it seems to be working.
      xxxx

      Delete