Friday 6 December 2013

Quilty Fun Sew-Along - Baskets of Geese

http://fatquartershop.blogspot.co.uk/p/quilty-fun-sew-along-and-blog-tour.html
To date the Quilty Fun sew-along (based on the book of the same name by Lori Holt) has been the perfect pre-Christmas sew-along with a quick and easy project each week.  The projects to date have been suitable for beginner and experienced quilters alike. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79143602@N04/10886191796/in/photostream
Week 1 and 2 - Apples and Stars
However, not so week 5 where we are faced with the ominous task of making thirty-one 2½” x 1½” flying geese blocks.  These are teeny-tiny blocks and they need to be to exact size because they are going to fit into the finished project in three different places.  The method Lori uses in her book to make the geese is a method I first came across many years ago in a book called “Sew A Row Quilts” by Karen Hellaby. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0954092805/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0954092805&linkCode=as2&tag=manionehundth-21
I didn’t like it then but that was a long time ago and to date, I have liked Lori's techniques.  So I decided to give the method another try.  After making twelve geese I was disappointed to find only half finished to the correct size.  I know some people love this method but I'm not one of them!  (Tip:  Be careful when using pencil markings as the pencil can come off onto the iron and transfer onto your fabric.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79143602@N04/11036101506/in/photostream
Week 3 - Courthouse Steps
These geese were 'getting-my-goose' so I reverted back to my preferred method for making little geese blocks - the 3D flying geese method (tutorial here).  I love this method – it is quick (only one straight seam per goose) and I like that I can see where the goose point is when I stitch the units together. One hour later and my geese units are all stitched and finish at the correct size.  You need to make three units – one with six geese (6½” x 2½”), one with twelve geese (12½” x 2½”)and one with thirteen geese (13½” x 2½”).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79143602@N04/11238400993/in/photostream
Week 4 and 5 - Baskets and Geese
But that is the fun of a sew-along – everybody has a favourite way of working and we pool our knowledge and share our tips to get the job done - one way or another.  And as somebody recently posted in the Quilty Fun Flickr group - it is such a good way to try different methods and learn something new. 
Not a goose in site ..... or is there?
If you really can’t get the hang of the tiddly flying geese blocks you can always cut 2½” x 1½” rectangles and use those in the finished project – it will still look good.  In fact, you may not even notice that your geese have flown!

Sew until Sunday when I will be posting another two Patchiqué blocks ......    

5 comments:

  1. Your baskets and geese are soooo pretty and perfect!!
    Your "goose sandwich" technique is what I am going to try next time!! I am printing it out now to have it handy when I need it!
    Your blocks in this sew along are so pretty and scrappy!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yor blocks are lovely, so colourful. I think I'm going to re-do my Flying Geese using your method as mine are a bit off size. I haven't come across this method before, but it looks super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try this, so now's the time! Yours are the smartest geese on the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, these look fabulous and hey use whatever works stress and sewing should not go together (been there done that!) the colors you are incorporating are gorgeous, or dare I say a little scrumptious?! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, well mixing different color can turn out really great specially if the colors you chose blend well together just like how those quilts being handled. One of my favorite stuff to deal with in the field of sewing is quilting, well for me its the easiest way to emphasize your thoughts by means of different creative details.

    ReplyDelete