Monday 5 August 2013

Reinventing the Pinwheel

I love it when a plan comes together and that is exactly what has happened this month with the Across the Pond Sew-Along and the Summer Crafter’s Block Party.

Amy has chosen PINWHEELS for the Across the Pond project this month and has shared some excellent pinwheel-makes on her blog - Amy Made That.

As my friends will know, I’m not new to pinwheels – I have used them in my Patchsmith Star Mug Rug pattern ....
Patchsmith Star Mug Rug Pattern

.... and last year in the Zakka Sew Along week 6 project we made itty-bitty magnets ....
The friendship star is my most favourite pinwheel block
So the hardest part of this month’s sew-along is going to be picking which pinwheel to make.  If you can’t make up your mind then here are some wonderful free projects to give you inspiration (just click on the picture to go through to the pattern/tutorial). 
Table topper/mini quilt
 
Hairclip

Mini pinwheel quilt
 
 
Pincushion
 
Cushion
 
Coasters
 
Bunting
 
Pinwheel cross-stitch (especially for my sister)
 
But wait! I haven’t told you about the ‘plan’.   Elaine over at Summer Crafter is holding a Friday night block party with a different block being showcased each week.  This week was the turn of the versatile nine-patch which just so happens to be another of the Zakka magnets (quick piece nine-patch tutorial found here).  
Anyway, back to the plan - I am hosting the Summer Crafter’s Block Party on Friday 16 August and I shall be showcasing a pinwheel block – complete with a little bit of history and a PDF instruction sheet for you to print out and use.  Fancy a little glimpse? 
The block is made - I just need to decide whether I make a table topper or a cushion. 
Sew until next time .....
 

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, now I won't be able to sleep a wink until you reveal your table topper OR cushion to us!!! These are lovely pinwheel projects, that I will use as a reference when I want to make some. I really must make your Patchsmith Star Mug Rug,and try to copy your colors. That is just striking!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to the 16th to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing it's still very early in August. I'm going to have to make more than one project. So much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your patterns on Craftsy today. I LOVE your mug rug patterns...they are so darn cute! I have purchased 3 of them and will be purchaseing more. Looking forward to whatever your creative mind can throw at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa - I love designing and making them. They are a little bit of colour and fun - two things everybody needs more of!

      Delete
  5. I'm going on holiday on the 16th!

    I too love pinwheels...never made one! BUT plan to......so I wondered, what is the trick to getting them so neat and precise when you are starting out?

    Thanks for sharing such wonderful, colourful makes....you've cheered up my day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about being away on the 16th Nora, I will post the PDF instructions for my pinwheel block on the 'Tutorial and Freebies' tab - all ready for when you come back. Plus after your holiday you will be relaxed, refreshed and ready to make some pinwheels. Pinwheels are just half-square triangles sewn together - I'll include instructions on a simple method of doing this.
      Enjoy your holiday.
      xx

      Delete
  6. You are a tease, Ms. Amanda!! I love it, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I love the Blue Star Mug Rug, reminds me I better finish the Hanukkah runner I'm making for a friend. I'll have to try some of those patterns. Love the hairbows and pillows!! Thanks for the mention too XO>

    ReplyDelete